On Losing Things

Posted by Denice in


Last year, I lost my bag. It contained my important personal stuff including my cellphone with all my contact numbers on it, my wallet with government and company IDs, ATM, credit cards, money ---- everything I should say. The bag itself has sentimental value to me as it was given to me by my aunt from the United States and it’s been typical of her to give branded items. This happened in the middle in a restaurant in Rockwell Power Plant while I was dining with my family.

I was certain my bag was just beside my right lap but since we’re seated in the middle part of the table, people could easily pass me by. I just realized that my bag was gone when I tried to pull out some tissue to wipe the mess out of my son’s mouth (he was aged three during this time). The restaurant’s manager later said that I was already the third victim during that month. A few weeks back, someone also lost a bag in that exact spot. The other one was far worse as she lost an entire shopping cart (the restaurant was right across a supermarket).

It’s incredible how the thief managed to steal my bag without any one member of my family noticing (to think there were five of us seated). He or she must be such a pro. But what I find more difficult to believe was how I “unaware” I was of what’s happening to me. It was probably bound to happen. Nevertheless, it was a wake up call for me that I’d better have to be where I am wherever I am. Otherwise, I would lose things --- I speak of this literally and likewise figuratively.

Dr. Fritz Perls, leading psychotherapist once said that to be present in the “here and now” is a key to awareness. This is an improvement area for me because honestly, I tend be either past-oriented or future oriented. As much as I would like to live one day at a time “today”, “several days” tend to be happening around me in just one day, so to speak. I realized that I have to make a conscious effort in the state of “here and now” most especially when I have a million reasons in my head as to why I feel I should be somewhere else right here, right now.

This entry was posted on June 23, 2008 at 10:38 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment