Side By Side

Posted by Denice in ,

I wasn’t really paying attention to the film “Evan Almighty” that my husband watched on DVD last night as I was actually doing something else and just happened to be sitting in front of the TV set.

I would only listen passively and once in a while glance to see how modern-day Noah’s Ark would be shown in the age of 3D technology and all that. Quite frankly after having watched European films (yes, the ones that carry English translation because the main language used would either be French or Italian), it’s been really difficult for me to appreciate whatever Hollywood has to offer, and much less this film.

There was a particular scene though that made me to stop whatever I was doing to pay attention. It was when the Almighty (played by Morgan Freeman) pretended to be a waiter and talked to Joan (played by Lauren Graham), the wife of newly elected Congressman Evan Baxter (played by Steve Carell).

Before this scene, I barely recall that Baxter’s wife just left him as she couldn’t bear anymore the public’s ridicule since her husband was so bent on Numbers 6:14 to build an ark amidst a sunny weather believing that the Almighty would re-stage another Biblical flood.

“…people miss the point of the Noah's ark story because they think it's about Almighty Yahweh’s* anger,” he said. “I think it's a love story about believing in each other, that’s because the animals show up in pairs, together, and Noah's family sails off in the boat, together.”

That’s the spiel that blew me away in the film. It made me give Noah’s Ark story a second look. Considering that I knew the story for ages, it’s only after I heard about the love story angle. About the importance of “being together” or “side by side” with your family as you face the flood of life.

* Sacred Name insertions are mine. For more information, please check out www.eliyah.com

This entry was posted on July 16, 2008 at 9:10 PM and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment