MUSIC: Those Haunting Gems

Posted by Denice

I am one of the creatures who have lived the era of “turntables” and “cassettes” (but only because I got indoctrinated to Music at 3 years of age, ha!). I remember the inconvenience of having my favorite hard-to-fine songs recorded from the FM radio playing “oldies but goodies” stuff. This crude way enabled me to be lucky enough to catch them via my cassette recorder (knowing when the DJ would stop talking was a must wayback then!)

One of the great innovations I’m super thankful for today is YouTube. I surprisingly am able to listen to my long lost favorite songs that I otherwise wouldn’t be able to find in offline music stores in this day and age. Although the performers/versions available in YouTube are not necessarily who or what I prefer, to me something is better than nothing. You will also note that a lot of these were compositions of those I consider best writers and composers of all time.

For those who take curiosity in what hard-to-find songs I’d really, really love to listen to over and over again, here’s a rundown in alphabetical order:

A Day in a Life of a Fool (Best version by Frank Sinatra)
Beautiful Maria of My Soul -Theme from Mambo Kings (Versions by Antonio Banderas and Los Lobos)
Theme from The Godfather (Henry Mancini)
It's Wrong For Me to Love You (Ennio Morricone, sung by Pia Zadora)
Loss of Love
Moment by Moment (Sung by Yvonne Elliman)
Nice to be around (Composed and Sung by Paul Williams)
Solitary Moon (Sung by Shirley Horn)
Summer of '42 (best version by Peter Nero)
The World We Knew (Best version by Frank Sinatra)
Theme from Cinema Paradiso (Composed by Ennio Morricone)
Times of Your Life (Composed and Sung by Paul Anka)
Wanting Things (Composed by Burt Bacharach)
When October Goes (Barry Manilow)
You and Me We Wanted It All (Best version by Frank Sinatra)

More to come.....

This entry was posted on February 11, 2008 at 7:14 AM . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment