Notable (Musical) Notes: DENICE CHRISTINE GARCIA-PILLA

Posted by Denice

Excerpt from the article “Meet ACNielsen’s Very Own Musical Talents” by Glady V. Rosales published in its official publication BALITANG ATIN, April-June 2006 Issue

Denice played the keyboards and did back up vocals for Tropa Ni Nonoy

“One Sunday afternoon while working overtime on a report, a very loud rehearsal in the boardroom caught my attention. I barged in and saw familiar faces who asked me to jam with them for a while to which I courteously obliged. Little did I know that one of them endorsed me already to BCN (Bienvenido C. Niles, the company’s Managing Director during this time) since the group was apparently in need of someone to do keyboards. And would I say no to BCN who personally approached me shortly after!”

“Being with ACNielsen Band is a stress reliever, a break from the seriousness that our job entails.”

Playlist?

“Anything that the group thought would be appropriate for the occasion --- from trendy to one as old as the Beatles.”

Outside the company, Denice is known for leading choirs

“I’ve been typecast to do the second voice particularly when singing in a group and probably because I’ve been known to put together choir singing. Back in high school I choreographed four-voices for “Dahil Sa Isang Bulaklak” and “Dandansoy” featuring my classmates and both songs won the first place on two occasions of group singing inter-school competition.”

“Looking back in High School, how I juggled as the class Salutatorian, school paper editor and making it to become a two-time singer of the year remains a mystery to me. I believe when you love something you’ll manage to squeeze in time for it.”

Denice has been playing the keyboards since she was 3

“I play the piano, organ or anything that has to do with keyboards. This is my “gift” from Almighty Heavenly Father Yahweh since I was 3 years old. When my parents started to notice that I could play practically any song right after listening to it, they brought me to a number of piano teachers but somehow none of them succeeded in convincing me to complete their courses, which was why I pick up more quickly listening to the tune than reading the notes.”

Musical preference?

“50% Jazz (think Diana Krall, Astrud Gilberto, Antonio Carlos Jobim, Sergio Mendez, Sting, etc.) 30% Mellow Classic (think Frank Sinatra, The sound of Motown Records, Stevie Wonder, Henri Mancini, Burt Bacharach, etc.) and 20% is a bit of everything in between.”

This entry was posted on February 11, 2008 at 7:58 PM . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment