Theme from “Sunflower” (Henry Mancini)

Posted by Denice



Have you ever met someone through a very brief encounter, almost at random, and almost unknowingly, you just found yourself spending a weekend together? From that time on, you knew you’d never be the same again. Everything seemed perfect despite the fact that you both knew that your meeting was doomed from the start and that you could never be. It was too beautiful to last. The weekend passed by and so has whatever it is that you had.

It's how it makes me feel listening to Henry Mancini’s “Loss of Love” more popularly known as “Theme from Sunflower.” The movie, topbilled by Sophia Loren, is about a tragic love affair and revolved around a wife desperately in search of her husband (so I heard as I missed watching this film). On the other hand, her husband went ill and lost his memory (amnesia) , thus finding himself married to another woman in another place. It was too late when they met again. Someone had to let go.

I think singer Scott Walker beautifully captures the emotions involved in his lyrics for this piece. It goes like this:

Love is storm and wind, then tide
All the tears your heart can hold
But I look back after loss of love
And find the days were gone
I see only shattered skies
Not a ray of light to find
But I look back after loss of love
And sunlight blinds my mind
Songs were sung with words as young as May
But in the mist of summer, winter came
A chill blew out the flame
Now the words have haunted sun
Ring as clear as they did then
Still I look back after loss of love
And learn to love again
Songs were sung with words as young as May
But in the mist of summer, winter came
A chill blew out the flame
Now the words have haunted sun
Ring as clear as they did then
Still I look back after loss of love
And learn to love
Again

This entry was posted on February 20, 2008 at 2:51 PM . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment