Wanting Things (Burt Bacharach)

Posted by Denice



“We always want what we cannot have.” I remember an old friend said this to me in amazement. I couldn’t agree more. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. “Anywhere but here,” so to speak. The Biblical mandate "thou shalt not cove" did not become an integral part of the ten commandments for nothing.

It seems to me that for as long as something desired remains unobtained, some territory remain unexplored, or such thing or even someone remains at bay, the longing stays sometimes to a greater degree. And then it fades once we’d come to understand why, much less when we are gratified.

I find myself in this "longing" situation whenever I'd hear Burt Bacharach's "Wanting Things." The song is a beautiful expression of what is almost human nature --- blame it on Eve?

Here are the lyrics of the song from the album Promises Promises:

Tell me how long must I keep wanting things

Needing things, when I have so much.

There are many girls who have much less than me,

Day by day they make their way.

And they find more in life than I can see.

Tell me,When will I learn to resistwanting things


Touching things that say "do not touch.

"People that I meet seem to think I am strong,

They don't see inside of me.

So they don't know I'm weak and often wrong.Tell me,

Why must I keep wanting things

Needing things that just can't be mine*

(wanting things
that just can't...be...mine...)

This entry was posted on February 19, 2008 at 8:17 AM . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment